Mercedes R Class Mercedes R350 and Mercedes R500

So you have an older Mercedes with an M113 huh?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 03:33 PM
Default So you have an older Mercedes with an M113 huh?

Well, there's a first time for everything in life, right?

For me, it is the first time I've destroyed an engine. 😥 So driving home on New Year's Eve/Day, just rolling down the off-ramp, noticed an odd sound.

Initially, I thought it was the radio because I'd heard some rattling coming from the passenger front speaker in the past. As I got closer to the house, I still heard this "racket" so I turned down the volume. Still couldn't identify the sound. Oh boy was I in for a surprise. I hit the driveway, left the car running, and ER MY GAWD, this engine was NOT happy. The knocking was louder than I'd ever experienced in any car, but here we were.

I won't lie to you, I was greatly disappointed. But learn from my misfortune, this is a warning.

The vehicle, a 2006 Mercedes-Benz R500 (M113) 73935 miles. Maintenance done, always. Babied, mostly. Oil leaks? Nope. This car is loved.

I'm almost 100% certain this is what happened:

I don't know if the o-ring on the pickup tube attached to the oil pump is a scheduled maintenance, if not, it should be. My engine is toast and I'm a little sad.

Don't be me. If your M113 is older like mine, take the time to replace this dumb rubber single point of failure.

Peace

Old 01-28-2024, 01:11 PM

this is not unique to the M113. the M272 also has this issue. .Mine started making that clapping sound a few weeks ago.. at the same time my oil pan was rusting out. So I had the oil pan changed. WHen handing the car to the garage I played back the clapping sound to the owner and he brushed it off... Sadly should have changed the O ring at the same time.

Thanks for your contribution!

Old 03-28-2024, 09:54 PM
Default Good news!

As it turns out, reports of my R’s death are premature! I had the beast taken to our local MB dealer to confirm my blown engine theory. Imagine my surprise when the service advisor tells me, “it’s not the engine, but the AC compressor that’s causing all of your distress”.

Well color me pleased. I got the AC compressor fixed, and now my dear is back!

2006 Mercedes Benz R500