Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

1982 300D transmission engage problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 07:51 PM

FI,

What spring are your referring to?

Regards,
Jim Jim Jim

Old 11-24-2009, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by wmsko
I have a 82 300D that has a small trasmission problem. When you put the car into gear, it takes about 5 seconds for it to engage. You can rev the engine up like the car is in nuetral for the time in between. the lag in between seems to shorten as the engine warms up.<br /> <br />What would cause this? It does this in forward and reverse gears, but transmsion shifts fine and dosent slip or stutter. its been doing this for about a year now. Any help is apprecitated..
<br /><br />I am having a similar problem but only in 1st Gear. It has only a slight delay at first but after a few blocks there is hesitation and Engine reving until it engages. If I put the shift selector in Low it almost never engages; giving me the indication that in Drive it is actually starting in 2nd Gear.<br />In fact we have been driving the Car by putting the Shift Lever in 2nd and after moving in drive.<br />Members of the other Forum I frequent Claimed that it is a prblem with the B2 Piston that binds up and sometimes even breaks. There is an updated Piston/Seal and a Plastic Sleeve.<br /><br />They also said I should replace the K1 Springs with a kit if I am having shifing problems in the upper Gears since on a 123 the work is actually getting at the parts.<br />Below is part of a trouble shooting chart. Ignore the Red portion and look at the portion outlined in Green.

Attached Thumbnails 1982 300D transmission engage problem-trans-.jpg  

Last edited by Diesel9112; 03-27-2024 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:10 PM

its been doing this for about a year now. Any help is apprecitated..

What I was trying to convey was that it has been doing this for a year now with no noticeable change. It more than likely could be the reccomendations that were mentioned, as it is worth a shot and I hope that it does work. If those easier fixes do not work it already may need more serious repairs, ie torque converter, valve body assys etc. Just make sure that it has the correct trans fluid in it. I am a HUGE fan of replacing cheap easy parts in hopes of resolving the situation. If they don't I would just say drive it. (And F.I. I DO appreciate the help you gave me on my M.B. as far as ball joints go). I know of your credentials and do not doubt them, as I also manage one of the largest diesel mech shops on the west coast for one of the largest privately owned trucking companies in N.A. I have owned many cars with this issue both foreign and domestic that have suffered this malady and continued to drive them for many years. I was merely suggesting enjoy the ride.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:34 AM

bump this up

Old 04-21-2010, 07:53 PM

Just to follow up: I was finally forced to replace my shift linkage bushing since the rod fell out and I couldn't go.

Half hour of work, new bushing, problem solved. Car now shifts perfectly with no lag whatsoever. Oh, and don't bother with the fancy tool. Simply take the plate off the rod and replacing the bushing is very easy.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:32 AM

Thanks guys. I am going to try both of your recomendations this weekend. will post results. thanks again for the attention.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:42 PM

How about the pressures? Supposedly there are pressure service ports on the side of the transmission to monitor the pressure in the trans. This is to be able to adjust the accumulator pressures. I'm wondering if you're pump is a little worn and the pressures are low, which would mean it would take an extra long time for the accumulators to fill up and be purged of air. Just thinking...

Old 03-27-2024, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel9112
<br /><br />I am having a similar problem but only in 1st Gear. It has only a slight delay at first but after a few blocks there is hesitation and Engine reving until it engages. If I put the shift selector in Low it almost never engages; giving me the indication that in Drive it is actually starting in 2nd Gear.<br />In fact we have been driving the Car by putting the Shift Lever in 2nd and after moving in drive.<br />Members of the other Forum I frequent Claimed that it is a prblem with the B2 Piston that binds up and sometimes even breaks. There is an updated Piston/Seal and a Plastic Sleeve.<br /><br />They also said I should replace the K1 Springs with a kit if I am having shifing problems in the upper Gears since on a 123 the work is actually getting at the parts.<br />Below is part of a trouble shooting chart. Ignore the Red portion and look at the portion outlined in Green.

Well, what happened with the above?

I changed the ATF and filter and that fixed it for not quite a year after which the B2 piston broke and I lost all forward motion. (Note that the B2 band cracking can also cause loss of forward motion.)

So, I went through all of the trouble that was needed to change the B2 piston and that worked.

Old 04-12-2024, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel9112
Well, what happened with the above?

I changed the ATF and filter and that fixed it for not quite a year after which the B2 piston broke and I lost all forward motion. (Note that the B2 band cracking can also cause loss of forward motion.)

So, I went through all of the trouble that was needed to change the B2 piston and that worked.
Wouldn't one ATF change be enough?

Old 04-20-2024, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by thiefcrazy98
Wouldn't one ATF change be enough?
Could be I made a mistake in the details of what happened. It was many years back. I was only saying what happened with my vehicle.

Last edited by Diesel9112; 04-20-2024 at 12:19 AM.