Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Crank Position Sensor - Symptoms and Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:35 AM
Default Crank Position Sensor - Symptoms and Replacement

2001 MB - C320

Symptoms: Car won't start after shutdown between 30 and90 minutes(when hot) . Car starts immediately after shutdown or after cooling down for about 2 hours. Symptoms progressed to car dying frequenltywhiledriving and won't start until cools down in excess of 2 hours.

Problem: Faulty Crank Position Sensor

Location: on the 2001 C320 the sensor is located on on the bell housing (between transmission and engine area) on the driver side. The sensor is burried below several breather,vaccume, and coolantlines. It was very diffficult to see without removing the air filter/intake components.Use a mirror and good light. It is somewhat difficult to reach so you'll need the right tools.

Replacement: You will need anE8 socket and a flexible extension. Try touse a deep socketsince a short one would interfere radially with the sensor body/tower and would not efully ngage the bolt head holding the sensor leading to possibly stripping the bolt (whichI did). You may use a metric 6.5 mm socket but be very careful not to strip the bolt. No calibration or alignment of the sensor is needed.If you strip the bolt, replace it with a high grade 6mm - 1 pitch metric bolt(possiblyallen head). You'll find these at most of your local hardware stores. Make sure to use a high grade (high hardness) bolt.Torque the boltto about10 Nm.about 7 ft-lb. Do not over torque.

Price: Most websites listed the sensor for about $80.My local MB dealerhad a sensor in stock for $26(don't ask me how?). The dealer informed me that it charges 2 hours of labor for replacement (about $200 for labor) not including any diagnostics or parts.I ended up buying the sensor for $26.xx + Tax and replacing it myself. The bolt from my localhardware store was $0.5. A new bolt from the dealership lists for $6.50 but they did not have one available.

Good luck to allof you and thank you for the ones that posted information on this issue and helped me via direct email.

JJ

Old 11-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Default RE: Crank Position Sensor - Symptoms and Replacement

khouryjj,

I assume this fixed your problem. I am looking to change the same thing on my 1999 C280.
Can you describe it better? Approximate size and shape. It has an electrical cable running to it I assume. Is there a rubber "bootie" for protection?
Any way to confirm I am on the correct thing?
It screws in?
What is the bolt you stripped? It does not screw in and is held in with bolts???
Any help would be great. A pic??? : )

D

Old 08-30-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by khouryjj
2001 MB - C320

Symptoms: Car won't start after shutdown between 30 and90 minutes(when hot) . Car starts immediately after shutdown or after cooling down for about 2 hours. Symptoms progressed to car dying frequenltywhiledriving and won't start until cools down in excess of 2 hours.

Location: on the 2001 C320 the sensor is located on on the bell housing (between transmission and engine area) on the driver side. The sensor is burried below several breather,vaccume, and coolantlines. It was very diffficult to see without removing the air filter/intake components.Use a mirror and good light. It is somewhat difficult to reach so you'll need the right tools.

Replacement: You will need anE8 socket and a flexible extension. Try touse a deep socketsince a short one would interfere radially with the sensor body/tower and would not efully ngage the bolt head holding the sensor leading to possibly stripping the bolt (whichI did). You may use a metric 6.5 mm socket but be very careful not to strip the bolt. No calibration or alignment of the sensor is needed.If you strip the bolt, replace it with a high grade 6mm - 1 pitch metric bolt(possiblyallen head). You'll find these at most of your local hardware stores. Make sure to use a high grade (high hardness) bolt.Torque the boltto about10 Nm.about 7 ft-lb. Do not over torque.

Price: Most websites listed the sensor for about $80.My local MB dealerhad a sensor in stock for $26(don't ask me how?). The dealer informed me that it charges 2 hours of labor for replacement (about $200 for labor) not including any diagnostics or parts.I ended up buying the sensor for $26.xx + Tax and replacing it myself. The bolt from my localhardware store was $0.5. A new bolt from the dealership lists for $6.50 but they did not have one available.

Good luck to allof you and thank you for the ones that posted information on this issue and helped me via direct email.

JJ
it happened to me before, my car starts fine in the morning and after work in the afternoon but once I've driven about 10 or 15 minutes and turn off the engine it won't re-start.

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 08-30-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Question CPS cost

I just priced the CPS at Autozone for 54.99 with a 2yr warranty. Just thought Id add that. However, I am wondering how much it will cost to replace (labor). Anybody???

Miss Mimi

Old 08-11-2011, 09:52 PM

My car had the EXACT same symptoms. Starts up fine in the morning, by mid evening when its time to start up again, it will turn over but wont catch! It finally resulted in my car stalling out on the hwy, and dying on the side of the road. All lights still work, along with the radio and windows, it just wont crank up for me.

After browsing this forum for 2 days faithfully, I came up with the assumption that it was my Crank Position Sensor. I went to Auto Zone, bought a new CPS for $54.99 (2 year warranty), and had it replaced earlier today.

It didnt work!!!!! So I'm back at square one. I'm over 100k, so certain things are expected to become faulty and need to be replaced, but i dont know where to begin looking!!! The MB Dealership will only cahrge me an arm and a leg to diagnose the problem so Im trying my best not to have to get it towed there. Any suggestions my fellow Mercedes owners???
No Car = No Life .... Help me get my life back! Please and thank you

Old 08-14-2011, 06:46 PM

Thanks a bunch!
BUT!!!
I already replaced the crank Position Sensor!! Now, Im at the point where Im undecided if I should call a mobile mechanic to run a scan on my car and diagnose the problem - Ill have the option to have either Mercedes Dealership hadle it, or a third party. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Old 08-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Default C320 updated

I talk to a mechanic last week who told me it was two other sensors, besides the Crankshaft Position Sensor. One is the cam sensor and I can't think of the other one (sorry) One cost one hundred-something and the other two hundred-something. The cheapest is the CPS at ony $54. (Of course that would be the one the code scan would pick up, just our luck) Today my car stalled at the light. This issue is driving me bonkers!!! Good luck with your car....

Old 08-24-2011, 06:45 PM

I just had my cam sensors and harness changed out under recall on an 02 c230. Never had a problem

Old 09-13-2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by khouryjj
2001 MB - C320

JJ
Thanks for the detailed information on replacing crank position sensor, i will try it